Thanksgiving is a holiday when many family members can get together and celebrate all that there is to be thankful for. Oftentimes, numerous extended family members congregate at one home and a huge feast is served. Why not make the entire affair an event to remember? A memorable Thanksgiving Day is as simple as adding special holiday Thanksgiving Table Decor Ideas!
When a large number of guests will be attending a get-together, it is appropriate to have a “serving area” and a “dining area”. This way, large platters will not get in the way of plates, goblets, and silverware. The Thanksgiving Table Decorations for each area or table can be similar and thematic or completely different and unique – the choice is up to you!
Here are some ideas for making your family’s Thanksgiving Table Decor special:
Table Decor Ideas – Dining Area
On the dining table, there are several items that will make the décor memorable. First and foremost, there should be some type of table covering. This can be in the form of an autumn-themed runner or tablecloth. Other decorative items that will add to the festive atmosphere are:
- Name Cards – this is especially important when extended family members that live far away come to celebrate. There is a possibility that names will be forgotten, making for awkward moments. Having name cards on the table will allow the host to be sure there is enough space for everyone, while also allowing those family members sitting next to each other to converse easily.
- Folded Cloth Napkins – although laundering will be necessary after the event, using cloth napkins are more memorable than the paper variety. Folding them into a special holiday shape will be very eye-catching and decorative. If folding is not your forte, purchase or create some simple napkin holders to put around the napkin.
- Placemats – any kind of placemats in autumn colors will look wonderful around the table. This will also give celebrants their own “space” around the table to attempt to stay within.
- A Centerpiece – this item of décor can make or break your holiday table! Something simple and elegant is just as nice, possibly nicer, than something elaborate and cluttered. Some traditional centerpieces that can be placed on a Thanksgiving table are a cornucopia, Indian corn, or an autumn colored candle decorated with autumn leaves.
Thanksgiving Table Decorations – Serving Area
The serving area can be a bit sparser in its décor, but having some decorative items will tie this table in with the dining area. An autumn colored table covering of some sort should completely protect the area, as with so many celebrants there is bound to be a spill or two. When using a fabric tablecloth, a clear plastic table covering would be beneficial. Other decorative items that will add to the festive atmosphere are:
- Thanksgiving Salt and Pepper Shakers – these add a holiday touch to the serving table, while also being thematic. There are many styles of salt and pepper shakers to choose from, including turkeys, pilgrims, Indians and more. If wanted, matching Thanksgiving sugar bowls, creamer bowls, gravy boats, and serving platters can be purchased.
- A Centerpiece – this can match your serving area centerpiece or be completely different. Tie this centerpiece in with the colors and themes in your serving area. For example – If your serving dishes all have autumn leave patterns, create a beautiful candle centerpiece, complete with real autumn leaves in a pattern around its base.
There are many online resources that can be visited to find Thanksgiving table décor ideas and napkin folding techniques. On these websites, there are diagrams for setting a “correct” table, templates for name cards, and many children’s craft ideas that can be used for decorative items. Remember that homemade or children made crafts for name cards, napkin holders, placemats and centerpieces can be just as wonderful as anything store-bought!